The special people in your life deserve a special card! Let your artsy fifth grader learn how to create a 3-D flower card that lets his loved ones know how much he appreciates them.
What You Need:
- Colored construction paper
- Proverb or poem
What You Do:
- Let your child cut his largest square—at least 5" x 5"—out of colored construction paper.
- Have him cut out five more squares. Each one should be slightly smaller than the previous one.
- Fold each square in half two times.
- Have your child cut around the corners of each square fold. These cuts will become your lotus flower petals.
- Repeat this with each square.
- Encourage him to use a marker to write a proverb or a short poem in the center of your smallest square.
- Let your child put a drop of glue on the top of each paper piece, except for the smallest one.
- Layer the paper pieces on top of one another with the largest piece on the bottom. The paper with the proverb or poem should be on the top.
- Press the papers together gently.
- Use a pencil to gently curl the ends of the petals upward to make your flower appear three-dimensional.
- Tell him to give his lotus flower proverb to someone he loves!