This 52-card math equation will help your child master computation skills of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. All you'll need is a deck of playing cards, scratch paper and a calculator. This game is flexible, so he can focus on problem areas. Get ready, your kid's computation skills are about to become super-sharp!
What You Need:
- Deck of playing cards
- Sheet of paper
What You Do:
- Begin with addition to get the basic rhythm of the game. The starting score is "0". Face cards = 12, aces = 1.
- Ask your child to shuffle the deck and draw one card.
- Have him record whatever his card is plus 0 to create his first answer. For example, if he draws an 8, then 8 + 0 = 8. He would then add to the next card starting with 8.
- Have him continue drawing cards, one by one, until he finds the sum of all of the cards in the deck. He can double check his work with a calculator as he goes along.
- To move on to subtraction, he can start with 1,000 points. Multiplication begins with 1 point, and division starts with 100,000 points.
- To make this super-challenging for your math whiz kid, call out the operation with each new card drawn and mix it up each time! Keep a calculator handy to double check answers.
- Make it even more fun by using a timer to see how fast he can get through the entire deck of cards!