Finish off work at the composting bin with this realistic-looking treat! Kitchen scraps and garden waste combine in the compost bin to make nutritious soil that worms and plants love. Tiny microorganisms break down the material into compost. Soon, your bin will have larger living things such as millipedes and earthworms. Make this easy composting dessert and then enjoy the yummy results!
What You Need:
- 3 or 4 chocolate sandwich cookies
- ½ c. fruit yogurt or pudding
- ½ c. of coconut
- Green food coloring
- 2 or 3 candy worms
- Small empty yogurt container
- Plastic bag
What You Do:
- Make “dirt” by crushing chocolate sandwich cookies in a plastic bag.
- Put about one third of the crushed cookies into the bottom of an empty yogurt container.
- Spread fruit yogurt on top of the cookies. This represents kitchen fruit scraps.
- Follow the yogurt with “grass cuttings”—a sprinkling of coconut that has been tinted green with food coloring.
- Hide a worm on top of the coconut.
- Complete your dessert by adding the remaining cookie crumbs and two more worms.
- Enjoy your compost treat!