Become a "Coin Archaeologist"
Long before our children have to deal with the joys and woes of earning a living, they become fascinated with coins. In this activity, help your kindergartener become an expert "coin archaeologist" by digging up coins and observing how differently they can look and feel. Not only will your child be sharpening her observational skills in this hands-on activity but she'll also fulfill core social science and math requirements while she does it!
What You Need:
- Four or five of each: pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters
- Four index cards
- Transparent tape
- Magnifying glass
- Small sand pail, whipped topping tub, or bowl
- 1–2 cups of fine sand
- Old, but clean make-up brush
- Several sheets of tracing paper or newsprint
- Crayon stubs, paper wrapping removed