It’s a rare kid who doesn’t love those tiny tropical drink umbrellas. Whether they're in your child's drink or being used as her doll's rainy-day gear, those little parasols always seem to fascinate. This Fourth of July, try this parasol project that your child can do herself to dress up some holiday punch! As an added educational bonus, the activity requires your child to use a ruler and compass—important basic math skills that are sometimes overlooked in our digital age.
What You Need:
- White ink marker (the kind that shows up on colored paper)
- Blue and red typing paper (many stationery stores carry this, in 20-lb bond weight)
- Bamboo barbecue skewers in various lengths: short for highball-size glasses, longer for tumblers
- Adhesive tape and plain white liquid school glue (such as Elmer’s)
- Optional: small silver, red, and/or blue star stickers