Homemade Halloween Decorations
Here's a salt dough recipe that can be used to make ghostly character sticks for fun Halloween decor. They're easy to create, fun to decorate, and, for once, provide a Halloween activity that doesn't involve sugar!
What You Need:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup tepid water
- Rolling pin
- Pastry board
- Halloween shaped cookie cutter or cardboard template of ghosts, witches and pumpkins.
- Kebab sticks
- Baking sheet
- Greaseproof paper
- Poster paint (white, black and orange)
- Paint brush
- Small plant pot
What You Do:
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl. Add water little by little until the dough is firm. Knead for about 10 minutes and then let it sit for 40 minutes at room temperature.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Using your cookie cutters or the cardboard template to cut out your Halloween shapes. Use the stick to decorate with holes, and be sure to make a hole at the base for the stick. Note: Don't bake the stick!
- Bake the shapes at 250 degrees F for about six hours until hard.
- Allow the shapes to cool. Then, dip the tip of the kebab stick in glue and insert into the hole. Paint as desired.
- Paint and decorate your pot, and, after filling with sand, stick your shape into the sand.
- Find a place to display in your home in celebration of Halloween.