Make a "My Favorite Nouns" Book
If you hear your first grader talking about a "person, place, or thing" you can bet that she's learning about nouns at school. Learning these basic grammar and speech rules is a core first grade language arts concepts that teachers will expect her to master by second grade. This activity will help your child understand those concepts while practicing reading and writing, and creating a keepsake of important people, places and things in her life.
What You Need:
- Blank notebook or scrapbook (you can also make a book out of construction paper)
- Glue stick
- Pen or markers
- Binoculars or magnifying glass (optional)
What You Do:
- First, tell your child she is a noun detective and she needs to find her absolute favorite nouns. Give her binoculars or a magnifying glass to add a little dramatic flair to the hunt. Help her think of nouns such as "Grandma" or "bike" or "bear."
- Next, get the camera. If your child knows how to use a camera, let her take photos of her favorite things. Otherwise, you can be the photographer. Don't forget to take pictures of family members and pets!
- Once your child has taken her "noun" photos, print out or develop the photos and look through them together.
- Let your child organize the pictures in any order she decides, and then help her glue each photo onto the center of a page of the notebook.
- Have her write the name of each noun above the photo, and also have her label whether it's a person, place, or thing.
- Underneath the photo, have her write a short sentence about why she likes each person, place, or thing. For example, "I like Grandma because she gives me big hugs," or "I like my night light because it makes me feel safe."
- On the cover of the book, have your child write a title such as "My Favorite Nouns." Be sure that she writes her name as the author, as well as the date.
- When the book is finished, have your child show the book to friends and family members. Keep the book in a safe place, and save it to remind her (and you) what was important to her at this time in her life.