Make a Plastic Cup Monster!
Learning about how plants grow is a building block in the preschool curriculum. Put a spine-tingling twist on this science concept with these fun cup monsters. They also make great homemade Halloween decor.
What You Need:
- Small plastic cup
- Permanent markers
- Cotton balls
- Small container of water
- Potting soil
- Grass seed or radish seeds
- Plastic bags
What You Do:
- Give your child a plastic cup. Supervise carefully while your child uses permanent markers to draw a monster face on her cup.
- Ask your child to dip a cotton ball in the water and place it in the bottom of her cup. Then, put potting soil on top of the balls, stopping 1/4 inch below the cup's rim.
- Help your child sprinkle seeds on top and lightly pat them into the soil. Show her how to use eyedroppers to gently add water to the cup. Soil should be damp, not wet, or seeds will rot.
- Ask the children to put their cups near a window and put a plastic bag loosely over each cup. Observe carefully for growth--monster's hair!