Learning about how plants grow is a building block in the preschool curriculum. Put fun twist on the science concept with these cup pets. They also make great home decor.
What You Need:
- Small plastic cup
- Permanent markers
- Cotton balls
- Plastic bags
- Potting soil
- Grass seed or radish seeds
- Small container of water
What You Do:
- Hand your child the plastic cup. Supervise carefully while your child uses permanent markers to draw her pet's face on the cup.
- Ask your child to dip the cotton ball in the water and put it in the bottom of her cup.
- Then, put potting soil on top of the balls, be sure to stop an inch below the cup's rim.
- Help your child sprinkle seeds on top of the soil and lightly pat them down. Show her how to use the eyedropper to slowly add water to the cup. The soil should be damp, but not wet. If the seeds become too damp your pet will rot!
- Ask your child to put the cup near a window.
- Loosely cover each cup with a plastic bag.
- After a while you should start to see growth. Your pet is growing fur, or maybe it's hair? We have no idea. But ours sure is cute!