Make a Papier-Mache Jack-o'-Lantern!
This papier mache jack-o'-lantern is a great craft for little ghosts and ghouls who aren't yet ready to wield a carving knife. With papier mache and paint, you can can create a festive pumpkin friend that will outlast its carved peers.
What You Need:
- 1 balloon
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups warm water
- A mixing bowl
- Lots of newspaper, cut into strips, plus some for lining table
- Orange, green, and black paint, plus brushes and water for rinsing
What You Do:
- Make papier-mache: Mix flour and water in wide bowl until it has the consistency of thick sludge.
- Line work table with newspaper.
- Inflate balloon and tie closed with knot.
- Now you’re ready to get started: Drag newspaper strips one at a time through the papier-mache mixture. When thoroughly saturated, drape strips around balloon. Repeat in overlapping layers until entire balloon is covered with wet strips. Wrap a final strip around the knot of the balloon to form a stem shape. Set aside a few days until paper strips are completely dry and hard.
- The papier-mache covered balloon should be round and hard. Cover whole “pumpkin” with orange paint and let dry. Add green “stem” and black eyes, nose and mouth. Let dry thoroughly before removing from newspaper-covered table.