This Sephardic meat pie features ground beef, mashed potato, onions, and spices simmered in a hearty gravy and then baked in matzoh crust.
What You Need:
- 1 pound (450 g) ground beef
- 1 large potato, baked and mashed
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup water
- 8 matzoh sheets
- 1 to 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- Put beef, potato, onion, salt, pepper, cinnamon, allspice, and water in skillet. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- While meat mixture cooks, soak 4 matzoh sheets in warm water until they are very soft — almost mushy.
- Squeeze moisture out of the wet matzoh using papering towel. Press matzoh onto bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Brush matzoh with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and place in oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
- After meat is finished cooking, spoon onto matzoh crust.
- Soak remaining matzoh in warm water until soft. Place pieces of softened matzoh on top of meat mixture to form an outer crust. When finished, brush with remaining vegetable oil and then bake for 20 minutes.
Excerpted with permission from Jewish Holidays Cookbook (DK Publishing).