Hand Print Family Treasure
Create a family treasure ... and reinforce social studies basics while you're at it! This activity mixes three great ingredients: paint, big paper and family. Plus, you can help your second grader reinforce an important social studies skill: judging things in context of their place and time. It might be a little messy, but we think it's worth it.
What You Need:
- A large sheet of heavyweight white paper, approximately 12” x 30” (but it’s OK if it’s a little bigger or a little smaller).
- A second large sheet of paper in a bright color, at least 2” bigger all around, which you will use for a border
- Three or four colors of gooey water-based tempera paint (not watercolor), each with one brush
- One black or metallic marker (such as a Sharpie)
- As many family members as possible—this can include just your nuclear family, including pets, but don't leave out aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents if they are around!