Homemade Candy Canes
Homemade candy canes are a sweet gift for your friends and family. Marbled candy canes are a traditional winter festival gift that looks good poking out of the top of a Christmas stocking, tied to a tree with ribbon, or adorning a beautifully wrapped present. They are the ideal gift for brothers and sisters, and can be easily made as a holiday activity for four- to six-year-olds. Make homemade candy canes with your child this Christmas.
What You Need:
- 1 lb. powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
- Mixing bowl
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Wooden spoon
- 2 drops peppermint essence
- 1 drop red food coloring
- Pastry board
- Baking foil
What You Do:
- Sieve the sugar into the bowl. Add the beaten egg white and the water
- Stir the mixture to a smooth paste with the spoon, then add the peppermint essence. Don't add more than 2 drops.
- Add the red food coloring. Be careful not to add more than 1 drop. Transfer the mixture onto a pastry board lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Gently knead the color into the mixture, without mixing it in completely - keep the color looking nice and swirly. Set the paste aside for 10 minutes.
- Pull off 1¼ in balls of paste and roll on the board into lengths about ½ in thick. Bend over the top of the canes. Set aside on a sheet of baking foil to dry overnight.
In the morning, your candy canes will be ready to wrap. Don't forget to tie a length of ribbon around each cane to finish it off. Voila! A super sweet gift...literally!