Make a Mini Beach-in-a-Box
Who wouldn't want to spend everyday at the beach? If you can't make it to the beach this summer but your preschooler is begging to go, try making this tabletop beach instead. There are no jellyfish, no crowds, and you won't get sand in your shoes! This way, you can go to the beach whenever you want, all year long.
What You Need:
- Blue, white, and yellow paint
- Sand (about 2 cups)
- Seashells (or seashell shapes cut out of cardboard)
- Small plastic spoon (like the disposable tasting spoons at ice cream shops)
- Beach-themed stickers
What You Do:
- Divide the inside of the bottom of the shoebox into two parts. They don't have to be equal, but one section will be for the "water" and one side will be for the sand. Paint one section blue and the other yellow, and paint the sides white. Set it aside to dry.
- Hand your child the stickers and let her paste them onto the sides of the box. A beach ball here and a seagull there will help get you in the mood for some beach time!
- Invite your child to pour the sand into the shoebox and add the seashells. Use the little spoon to comb through the sand. This also makes a great prop for dolls and action figures!
- Now lay out some towels and break out that beach ball! You're ready for a day at the beach without even having to leave home!