Make an Obstacle Course!
Kids love physical comedy, and this activity has the potential of offering up a healthy dose (while also working on balance and dexterity.)
What You Need:
- Step stool
- 4 or more empty soda bottles
- Hula hoop
- 2 pages of newspaper
- A large room or more than 1 room for kids to run around in
- 3 or more players
- Optional: string
What You Do:
- The point of the activity to clear all the obstacles!
- Players lay out this course in a loop around the room and take turns racing through the course while being timed. Players get 1 second of penalty added to their times for messing up on the obstacle course.
- Lay the brooms on the floor to make a balance beam. At the end of the balance beam lay down the step stool on its side. At the end of the step stool set up the soda bottles in a slalom course pattern, not so close that a player can't walk between them, but close enough that a player would knock them down if going too fast.
- At the end of the slalom course, place the hula hoop on the floor. On the other side of the hoop, lay down 2 pieces of newspaper. Leave at least 5 feet clear before the Finish Line. Use string to mark the Finish Line.
- To race, players take turns timing each other as they complete the following route: walk across the balance beam without touching the floor or falling; walk through the step stool without tripping; walk backwards between and around the soda bottles without knocking any over; step into the hoop; lift it up over the head; lay it back on the floor; pick up the newspaper and put down 1 piece for each foot for each step. (So, the player will have to balance on 1 foot while putting down paper for the next step.) Players walk this way across the Finish Line. Both feet have to be across the Finish Line to end the time.
- After every player has run the race, the winner is the player who completed the course in the least time (including penalty seconds).