Kids love physical comedy, and this activity has the potential of offering up a healthy dose (while also working on balance and dexterity.)
What You Need:
- Step stool
- 4 or more empty soda bottles
- Hula hoop
- 2 pages of newspaper
- A large room or more than 1 room for kids to run around in
- 3 or more players
- Optional: string
What You Do:
- The point of the activity to clear all the obstacles!
- Players lay out this course in a loop around the room and take turns racing through the course while being timed. Players get 1 second of penalty added to their times for messing up on the obstacle course.
- Lay the brooms on the floor to make a balance beam. At the end of the balance beam lay down the step stool on its side. At the end of the step stool set up the soda bottles in a slalom course pattern, not so close that a player can't walk between them, but close enough that a player would knock them down if going too fast.
- At the end of the slalom course, place the hula hoop on the floor. On the other side of the hoop, lay down 2 pieces of newspaper. Leave at least 5 feet clear before the Finish Line. Use string to mark the Finish Line.
- To race, players take turns timing each other as they complete the following route: walk across the balance beam without touching the floor or falling; walk through the step stool without tripping; walk backwards between and around the soda bottles without knocking any over; step into the hoop; lift it up over the head; lay it back on the floor; pick up the newspaper and put down 1 piece for each foot for each step. (So, the player will have to balance on 1 foot while putting down paper for the next step.) Players walk this way across the Finish Line. Both feet have to be across the Finish Line to end the time.
- After every player has run the race, the winner is the player who completed the course in the least time (including penalty seconds).
Reprinted with permission from "The Ultimate Indoor Games Book" by Veronika Alice Gunter (Lark Books, 2005)