Create a Cozy Poncho!
Whether your child is making a cool poncho for himself or designing one to give as a gift, this is a great activity for the development of fine motor skills and patterning. The activity uses fleece fabric, but requires no sewing! Plus, fleece does not ravel, wrinkle, or tear, it stands up well in the washing machine, comes in a variety of fun designs, and is inexpensive to buy. So get started on a homemade poncho today!
What You Need:
- 30" square piece of of polar fleece fabric (makes one kid-sized poncho. If you would like to make an adult-sized poncho, use a 60" square)
- Sharp scissors
- Large plastic bowl
- Large wooden or plastic beads of your choice
What You Do:
- Have your child fold the square of fabric diagonally.
- Place a large bowl in the center of the edge of the folded piece and outline a semi-circle with your marker. The semi-circle should be about 5” across.
- Cut out the semicircle, then unfold. Instant poncho!
- Next, make 3' cuts into around the bottom of the poncho to create a fringe.
- With your child, decide on a pattern that you will use to string beads into the fringe of the poncho. Once each piece of fringe is beaded, make sure to tie a knot at the end!
Your poncho is complete! You've created a warm and fuzzy original design to wear or share. Make more to share as holiday or birthday gifts for family and frends!