Want a fun, and delicious, activity to do with your child in the kitchen this Fall? Here's a pumpkin nut bread recipe that makes for a wonderful project on a crisp autumn afternoon.
Makes 2 loaves
What You Need:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, at room temperature.
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 16-oz. can solid packed pumpkin
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dark or golden raisins
What You Do:
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add pumpkin. Mix well.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Blend into pumpkin mixture.
- Sit in nuts and raisins.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool on rack before slicing.
Reprinted with permission from "An African American Cookbook" by Phoebe Bailey (Good Books, 2002)