Rainbow Barrette Holder
If you have a little girl, you probably have barrettes scattered all over the house. Here's a colorful craft project that's fun to make and will help your child practice her colors while staying tidy and organized!
What You Need:
- 1 large piece of white felt
- A pencil
- 1 piece each of red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple felt
- A needle and white thread, or iron-on Velcro and an iron
- Fabric paint
- A hole punch
What You Do:
- Trace a big cloud shape on the white felt and cut it out. Don't worry about perfect measuring, as long as it looks like a cloud.
- Cut one long strip out of each piece of colored felt, about an inch wide. These will be the rainbow beams that hold the barrettes.
- To attach the beams with needle and thread, sew the top of each strip to the back of the cloud. To iron them on, cut the Velcro to fit the width of each strip and the corresponding Velcro to fit the cloud, and follow the directions provided with the product. Don't forget to line the colors in order! (Remember ROY G BIV?)
- Help your child decorate the cloud with fabric paint, adding her name, a sun or whatever else she likes. Set it aside and let it dry.
- Use the hole punch to make two holes at the top of the cloud, with about 2 inches between them.
- Cut a piece of yarn long enough to loop through both holes to act as a hanger, and knot each end tightly.
- Hang the finished rainbow cloud on a doorknob or the wall. To hang barrettes, simply clip them onto the rainbow beams. It's a neat and easy way to keep track of them, and it adds some colorful decoration to your house!
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.