This homemade snow globe craft is fun for kids who are excited about winter! Often associated with holiday celebrations, homemade snow globes are a favorite glittery creation for both kids and adults. Store-bought snow globes tend to be expensive and delicate, but a DIY snow globe is an inexpensive winter decoration that is tough enough for kids to play with. This snow globe is made with just a few supplies, and the craft is simple enough for kids to make themselves.
What You Do:
- Trim the cork so one piece is just a little taller than the jar lid. Discard the extra cork.
- Remove the lid from the jar and set the jar aside.
- Put the lid upside down and help your child affix the cork piece to the center with a dab of waterproof glue.
- Glue the figurine, bottom down, to the cork (if you're using a little person as the figure, glue the feet to the cork). The cork is a platform that will allow the figurine to show above the rim of the lid, and the lid will eventually be the bottom of the snow globe.
- Let the cork and figure dry completely.
- Have your child add a few dashes of glitter to the jar, along with a few drops of glycerin if you’d like the glitter to slowly move around in the globe.
- Help your child fill the jar almost to the top with water.
- Screw lid back on jar, so the figure is pointing down. Reverse the jar so the figurine is right side up.
- Tie a ribbon around the jar lid and knot decoratively.
- Have your child shake gently and watch the glitter float around! Watch carefully for leaks and store in a small bowl or dish, just in case.
Not only is this homemade globe a hit with kids, it also makes a great holiday gift for friends and relatives, so stock up and make several!
Also, be sure to take a look at all of our Christmas Activities and Homemade Christmas Gifts.