Make a "Study Time" Door Hanger
As school starts up for the year, honor your young scholar with this fun and simple craft project. It’s fun for one kid to do, but even more delightful when you’ve got a whole group of kids. All you need are a few simple supplies, and a healthy dose of imagination!
What You Need:
- Craft foam cut into long doorhangers (available at most craft stores, or cut your own from 12” sheets of craft foam)
- Craft glue
- Stick-on craft foam shapes (i.e. stars, hearts, footballs, cars, etc.)
- Acrylic squeeze paint
- Permanent marker
- Optional: glue-on flat “jewels"
What You Do:
- Have your child start by writing a message in clear block letters on the foam door hanger with the permanent marker: something like “Quiet Please! I’m Studying,” or “Student at Work.” Make sure the letters are big enough to be from a few feet away.
- Spread out your craft foam forms and paint options on a work surface, and let your child go to town! Stars are a favorite for both boys and girls or, depending on your child’s interests, choose among the wide array of foam shape - or even glittery “jewels” - available at most craft stores.
- To finish off the door hanger, invite your child to trace over the block letters with squeeze paint. The paint can also be used for dots and other decorations. Just be sure to give it plenty of time to dry; what's worse than the face of a kid who’s just worked for an hour on a fabulous project, only to have a smudged mess!
- When your child has finished, he'll have a practical craft to use and enjoy throughout the whole school year and many more to come!