The Perfect Pumpkin Soup Activity
Nothing says fall like pumpkin soup, but in addition to tradition, it's also really good for you, with high amounts of fiber, iron, zinc and free radical busting antioxidants. The delicious recipe has no fat and only 70 calories per serving, making it a parent-favorite. And, because the steps are so easy, you and your child can make it together.
Makes 6 servings Ideal slow-cooker size: 3 1/2 quart
What You Need:
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock or broth, fat removed
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
What You Do:
- Combine all ingredients except cornstarch, cold water, and fresh parsley in slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cover. Cook on low 5-6 hours.
- During the last hour add cornstarch mized with water and stir until soup thickens.
- Just before serving, stir in fresh parsley.
Reprinted with permission from "Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly" by Phyllis Pellman Good (Good Books, 2004)