Water Balloon Tag
What do you get when you mix hot potato, water balloons, and freeze tag? A super fun summer game! The person who's "it" is decided by a game of hot potato, then players scurry away until "it" shouts for players to freeze. The first person to get hit by a water balloon is "it" next!. If you can't make it to the pool this summer, this is a fun substitute to cool you down while keeping active.
What You Need:
- Bucket, tub, or large plastic container
- Water balloons
- At least three kids
What to Do:
- Fill a bucket full of water balloons.
- Set boundaries for the players. If you're playing at a park, make the woods or playground off limits. If you're playing in your backyard, make the side of the house and indoors off limits.
- Have all players stand in a circle, and hand one player a water balloon.
- Choose one player (or parent) to be the caller.
- The caller shouts, "Go!" and players begin passing the water balloon in a circle. When he feels like it, the caller shouts, "Stop!" and the last person holding the balloon is "it". The caller should turn his back to the players so he doesn't know which player will end up with the balloon.
- Once players know who's "it", they scurry away within the boundaries. Then the caller yells, "Freeze!" and all players, even "it", must freeze where they are.
- Without moving his legs, "it" must throw the balloon at another player. If he misses, the caller brings another balloon to "it" until he hits someone. If the water balloon hits the other player, she's now "it" and must get another balloon from the bucket.
- Players are free to run around once more as the next person who's "it" grabs a balloon and rejoins the game. The caller yells, "Freeze!" again, and so on.
- Play until every person has been tagged, or stop short and have yourself a good old-fashioned water balloon fight!