Easter represents, for many kids, a cornucopia of chocolate bunnies and jellybeans. But, it's also when the world marks springtime hope and renewal--surely there must be some way to celebrate with food groups that don’t leave a sugar haze for the rest of the day? To that end, here are some creative whole wheat “bunny biscuits” for your brunch table. All you need are some simple ingredients and a child who likes to mash and roll dough!
What You Need:
- 1 1/4 cup rolled whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of 1% or 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 24 small raisins
- Egg “wash”: 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 2” round cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
- Sharp knife
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Start by mixing the first four ingredients (all “dry”) in a bowl. Then cut the butter into 1/2” chunks, and add it to the dry flour mix you have just made. Use a fork, or even your fingertips, to mix until the butter is the size of small peas and is evenly distributed.
- Mix the eggs and milk together in a small bowl, beating until the eggs are a light lemon yellow. Then add them to the flour-butter mixture and stir until everything is well blended.
- Now roll the dough onto a lightly floured board, and use an old French technique to make it even flakier once it is cooked: Roll it into a rectangle, and then fold it into thirds (psst: great fraction practice for your child!). Roll it out again into a new rectangle, and then fold it into thirds. Repeat one more time.
- Now, using your final rolled-out rectangle, roll the dough to a thickness of 1/2”, and cut approximately 16 round biscuits. Use eight of them, uncut, for bunny faces. From the remaining eight, use a sharp knife to cut ears and a bow tie, like this:
- Place two ears on top of each circle of dough, and pinch well so that they are fully attached. Place the “bow tie” below each circle. Give the bunnies raisin eyes and nose, and use your knife to score three lines on each side of the bunny’s nose for whiskers, like this:
- Now prepare your egg “wash”: whisk the extra egg with 2 tablespoons of milk until they are completely smooth. Remove the raisin eyes and nose, and gently “paint” each bunny.
- Replace the raisins, and bake the biscuits at 400° for about 10 minutes, or until puffy, moist, and golden.