President's Day Treats
Celebrate President's Day this year by treating yourself to a delicious presidential snack: a banana log cabin! Inspired by Abraham Lincoln's humble birthplace, this healthy snack will keep little hands busy and little stomachs full on this important national holiday. All you need to begin are graham crackers, peanut butter, and a handful of bananas.
What You Need:
- 3-4 bananas
- Peanut butter
- 2 or more graham crackers
- Plastic knife
- Chocolate syrup (optional)
What You Do:
- Using the plastic knife, cut each banana widthwise, then cut each banana half in half lengthwise. You should have 12 (or 16 if using 4 bananas) half circle-shaped pieces of banana.
- Now that you have your banana building blocks, it's time to build. Have your child arrange 4 banana pieces in a square on the plate. This will be the base of your log cabin.
- Spread peanut butter over the banana base, then stack four more bananas on top. Encourage your child to be creative with the placement of the bananas.
- Help your child continue stacking the bananas on top of each other, spreading a layer of peanut butter between each row, until all the bananas have been used.
- Spread a layer of peanut butter on the top of the banana log cabin, then place two graham crackers on top in the shape of a triangle to create the roof. Add a small amount of peanut butter between the graham crackers where they meet to help them stick together.
- Have your child paint the finished cabin with chocolate syrup (optional).
- Step back and admire your banana log cabin with your child, then grab a couple forks and dig in!
Garnish with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream, and you've got a delicious President's Day dessert.