The best way to learn about plants is to grow your own. Create these wheatgrass and alfalfa friends and watch their hair spring up in just a couple days. They love a sunny spot in the house, like on the windowsill. Having a bad hair day? Once the grass grows longer, cut and style it to create some funny hairdos!
What You Need:
- Grass seeds like wheatgrass or alfalfa
- Plastic cups
- Construction paper
- Glue stick
- Double stick tape
- Googly eyes (optional)
What You Do:
- Have your child fill a plastic cup with some soil, leaving about half an inch at the top.
- Next, gently press the seeds into the top of the soil in an even layer, and cover them with some more soil.
- Have your child cut a strip of construction paper that will wrap completely around the cup.
- Now create a face on the paper with marker and googly eyes. Give each of your plants different characteristics!
- Using double stick tape, stick the faces onto the plastic cups.
- Place your cups near a window. For the next few days, follow the directions on the seed packets for watering instructions.
- Allow 8-14 days for the grass to grow to its fullest. Once the grass is grown, use scissors to give your wheatgrass friend a funny hairdo!