Play Animal Musical Chairs
This variation on musical chairs is a great party game for kids who love animals or just love to get silly, and the funny sounds and actions are a blast for everyone involved. The best part for parents? No more tears! Instead of being kicked “out” of the game, kids get to be “it” and are given a chance to help their friends have fun!
What You Need:
- Kids/players (adults can get in on this, too)
- Enough chairs for every player
- Music and a player – fun, upbeat music works best
- A "DJ" to stop and start the music
What You Do:
- Count how many players you will have. Round up enough chairs for every participant...minus one.
- Arrange the chairs in a circle.
- Have your gang play the first round of musical chairs the traditional way -- The DJ will turn on the music and have the players walk in a circle around the chairs. When the music stops, each player must find a seat and sit down in it -- but since you only have enough for all except one, there will be one kid left standing. He is "it".
- Ask the player who is “it" what his favorite animal is. Then ask him what kind of sounds the animal makes, or how the animal moves.
- Explain to the kids that the remaining players must rotate around the circle of chairs imitating the animal "it" has chosen -- for instance, if “it” says his favorite animal is a dog, have players crawl on their hands and knees around the chairs while barking. If he says horse, have them gallop; snake, wiggle on their belly, etc. The sillier the better!
- Remove one chair from the circle after each round so that there is always an “it” to choose the next animal. The last kid standing is the winner!