Create Awesome Apple Note Cards!
Nothing shows that you care more than a homemade greeting card! In this activity, help your child paint her own autumn apple note-cards. Whether she's sending it out as a cheerful birthday salutation to a family member or giving her teacher an apple on the first day of school, this awesome apple card will be sure to brighten someone's day.
These apples will never need to be thrown out and are perfect to have on hand whenever you need one. All you need are blank cards, paint, and your child's hand to start. Not only will your child get practice writing, but she'll be making a truly heartwarming treat to send to loved ones while she's at it!
What You Need:
- Blank note cards (available at craft stores)
- Green stamp pad
- Brown marker or crayon
- Red washable paint
- Paper plate
- Paint brush
- Newspaper to cover the table
What You Do:
- Cover your work area with newspaper.
- Pour some paint onto the paper plate. Using the paintbrush, spread it around evenly.
- Tell your child that she'll be dipping only the palm of her hand into the paint, not her fingers or thumb. Assist her in dipping her hand into the paint. Use the paintbrush, if you need, to even out the paint on her palm.
- Help her press her palm onto the bottom of the card. If there's enough paint left, have her stamp one more card. Then re-dip her palm into the paint to decorate more cards.
- Have your child wash her hands.
- Now let your child stick her pointer finger onto the green stamp pad. This fingerprint will be the two apple leaves. Help her direct her fingertip onto the top of the apple. It's easier if you turn the card upside-down for this part. Have her make two fingerprints for the leaves.
- When the note cards are dry, make an apple stem between the two leaves using a brown marker or crayon.
- At the top, have her write her name or a cute phrase such as, “You're the APPLE of my eye!”
- On the back of the card, write “Made with love by (your child's name).”
Now that her card is completed, have your child write a note to a loved one. The recipient will love getting a "hand"-made card from your child!