This recipe is a great one to share with your child, especially if they like the concept of pizza and enjoy the taste of apples. It also makes a great Father’s Day brunch! Baking together is a wonderful sensory activity that combines the visuals (sights) with the sounds, smells, tastes and textures (touch) of being in the kitchen. It is also a terrific opportunity to build memories that you and your child will never forget.
What You Need:
- 6 slices of bread
- 6 cheese slices or shredded cheese (marble, cheddar or mozzarella)
- 4 of your favorite apples, washed, cut and diced with the skin on.
- Margarine or butter
- A cookie sheet
- A butter knife
- Bacon bits (optional)
What You Do:
- Lay out the cookie sheet (do not grease).
- Have your child use a butter knife to put butter or margarine on the slices of bread.
- Now, she can put the cheese slices or shredded cheese on each piece of bread! (If you are choosing to shred the cheese, you may wish to help younger children with this, as little fingers may get too close to the grater.)
- Have your child sprinkle the chopped apples on the cheese-covered slices.
- Sprinkle bacon bits over the apples (if you feel like them!)
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Cool for a couple of minutes and it's time to eat!
Thank your little chef for a quick, easy meal that's a whole lot healthier than traditional pizza.