Around the School Yard
A strong knowledge of addition facts is essential for every first grade student. Create a fun board game at home in order to review this important skill! You will need two dice, a game board print out, and place markers in order to play. By reviewing addition with your child in new and creative ways, you'll keep him engaged and learning. Your student will be better prepared for more complex addition problems as well.
What You Need:
- Two dice (Make your own.)
- One Around the School Yard game board (Print this out.)
- One place marker for every player (e.g. beans, coins, etc.)
What You Do:
- Have each player select a place marker and place it on the picture of the school, in the center of the game board.
- Players take turns rolling the dice, then adding the numbers shown on the dice. If their sum is shown in the next area of the school yard (The first area is the basketball court.), they may move their marker. If their number does not appear in that area, they stay where they are.
- A player wins when they have gone all the way around the school yard and reached the swingset.
Use three dice. Add all three numbers together. Or use subtraction or multiplication instead.
(Print out a blank game board here, and add your own numbers to it.)