Help your young chef turn a breakfast staple into a miniature work of art. These bacon hearts are as delicious as they are charming -- the perfect start to a busy and fun-filled day!
What You Need
- Lean bacon
- Cookie sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Cooling rack
- Oven mitt
What You Do
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Let your child line the bottom of the cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Have her place the cooling rack on top of the foil.
- Help your child use a knife to carefully slice each piece of bacon in half.
- Let her place one bacon half on the cooling rack.
- Help her set the other bacon half at a 45 degree angle to the first half, creating a "V" shape. Make sure that the bacon ends overlap at the bottom of the "V."
- Show her how to fold both arms of the "V" inward to make a heart shape.
- Have her arrange the rest of her bacon strips on the cooling rack, carefully making hearts out of each one. Encourage her to play around with different sized hearts.
- Place the bacon in the oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, but check back frequently -- you don't want any burnt bacon hearts!
- Have your child use an oven mitt to take the cooling rack out of the oven.
- Allow the bacon time to cool.
- Help her transfer her heart-shaped goodies onto a plate.
- She's ready for breakfast!