Plain white rice again? Why not try something new that is low in calories, but high in fiber, protein and taste? Peas n’ rice is a traditional dish from the Bahamas. You will find this side dish served at all the major Bahamian festivals as well as on your plate for Sunday dinner. As local Bahamians say, “If it isn’t peas n’ rice, it isn’t the Bahamas.”
What You Do:
- Sautee chopped onions and broccoli in the large pot until thoroughly cooked.
- Add 2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- Add 2-3 pinches of thyme and then season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Let cook for 2 minutes under low heat.
- Add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add the can of peas and let come to a boil again.
- Add 3 cups of rice and stir lightly.
- Cover pot and reduce heat.
Fun Fact: The Bahamas name comes from the Spanish word Bajamar, which means “shallow water”. It is comprised of 700 islands.