Next time you bake a batch of cookies turn them into edible performance art! When the cookies are baked and cooled, your child can use icing and edible decorations to create different characters. Cookie puppets on Popsicle sticks give your child a chance to create fun stories, stretch his imaginative mind and play—put on a show and then gobble them up!
What You Need:
- Cookie dough, homemade or store-bought
- Popsicle sticks
- Edible decorations
What You Do:
- Help your child place small (1-2 inches) balls of cookie dough on a baking sheet a few inches apart from one another.
- Carefully insert a popsicle stick into the middle of each ball of dough.
- Bake the cookies according to directions.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use a spatula to transfer the cookies to a cooling rack, taking care not to disturb the popsicle sticks.
- When the cookies are completely cooled, invite your child to transform them into “puppets” by creating faces with icing and edible decorations, like sprinkles, colorful candies and cake decorating items.
- When the decorating is complete ask your child to tell you about the characters he created. Invent a conversation between two puppet cookies, or make up names for the various characters. Encourage him to use his imagination and relish the opportunity to play with his food. Then enjoy your puppets with a cold glass of milk!