What You Need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
What You Do:
- Preheat your oven to 425° F.
- Have him combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and help your child work it into the flour mixture with his fingers, until the texture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the raisins to the mixture.
- Show him how to beat the egg and milk together; have him add this liquid to the flour mixture. Stir until combined well.
- Using an ice-cream scoop or a large spoon, help him drop 12 equal portions onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, about 13 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet to cooling rack.
- Serve warm, with butter and jam if desired.
Did You Know?
In some parts of the world, “scone” is pronounced “sk-ahn” (rhymes with “con”). But no matter how you say it, they taste delicious!