Finally, there's an easy, homemade gift for your child to present to one of the most difficult people to shop for—Dad! This Father's Day, help your child mix up a delectable combination of seasonings for the family's barbeque master. Your child will gain valuable fraction practice as he mixes up this savory spice rub!
What You Need:
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Clean, dry jar
- Self-adhesive label and magic markers
What You Do:
- Have your child stir all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, adjusting the amount of each seasoning to taste. If your child dislikes spicy food, you may want to do the tasting for her. Your child should feel free to experiment with different ingredients, such as maple sugar instead of brown, garlic powder instead of onion, etc.
- Help your child place the rub into a clean, dry jar. Cover it tightly, and it will last indefinitely!
- When your child gifts the rub to someone special, she should advise the recipient to sprinkle it liberally over any meat, and then let the meat sit for an hour before grilling. This gives it a chance to soak up the wonderful flavors she has concocted!