Homemade Wind Chime Activity
Your child can re-purpose beads by making a summer wind chime, along with learning more about how the wind blows. And, she’ll use all those random beads hanging out around the house!
What You Need:
- A stick
- Craft wire
What You Do:
- Head outdoors with your child to search for the perfect stick for making the outdoor beaded wind chime. A stick about 6 inches long will work perfectly!
- Now invite your child to go on a scavenger hunt around the house for all the random beads she can find. She can even organize them by color or shape.
- Before stringing her beads, encourage your child to layout her design. She can create patterns with her beads, or random designs. Taking the time to think about the design of her wind chime encourages her concentration and creative skills!
- Now offer your child a length of craft wire, about 1 foot in length and encourage her to string her beads, which is great for her hand-eye coordination!
- Invite your child to wrap her finished beaded wire onto the stick and then continue creating lengths of beads for her summer wind chime! Remind her to think about placement of her lengths of beads so they chime into each other when they blow in the wind!
- Help your child hang her finished beaded wind chime with a length of craft wire outside to enjoy over the summer!
Sarah Lipoff has a K-12 Art Education degree and enjoys working with kids of all ages.