Young chefs can whip up this Chinese style dish quicker than you can order take out. A simple stir-fry, it features tender strips of rib eye, sliced onions, and slivered mushrooms dressed up in a savory oyster sauce. What’s great about this recipe is its flexibility: you can substitute the beef for any meat you like, and incorporate any of your kids' favorite vegetables.
What You Do:
- In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of canola oil in the wok over medium-high heat.
- Saute the mushrooms and onions until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove the vegetables to a platter.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons oil to the wok.
- Add the beef. As it browns, add the ginger and garlic. Stir constantly.
- Return the mushrooms and onions to the wok, then toss in the bean sprouts and carrots.
- Stir in the oyster sauce, Tamari, sesame oil, and mirin. Season with pepper.
- Add the water and cornstarch mixture and stir well. Enjoy immediately over steamed rice!
To dress the dish up for company, sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onions on top. Your guests won’t believe that your child made this dish all by himself!
**This recipe is peanut free and tree nut free.