Looking for an elegant cookie that won't give you a sugar rush? This traditional Italian biscotti cookie is twice baked, making it twice as good! Your child can hone her culinary skills to create a holiday gift that your friends will love. Pair it with a little tea or hot chocolate for a delicious snack.
What You Do:
- Have your child mix together the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs.
- Once things are mixed together, add the salt, cinnamon, baking soda and almonds and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and add the flour to the wet mixture. Once the dough comes together, cover a sheet pan with foil and then dump the dough onto it.
- Have your child flour her hands and form the dough into a long , flat rectangle.
- Brush the top of the dough with some milk.
- Carefully place the tray into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned.
- Remove the biscotti and let it cool for about ten minutes. Then put the slab onto a cutting board and slice it into thin 1” wide strips with a serrated knife.
- Your child can place the cookies back onto the sheet pan and bake it for another ten minutes. Then flip them over with the spatula and bake for an additional ten minutes.
Place some cookies in a bag and tie it up with a ribbon for a holiday gift no one will be able to resist!