Black and White Pumpkin Activity
Is your fifth grader up for a new art challenge? Sure, she's worked with colored pencils and paint, but has she experimented with white crayons on black paper? Halloween's the perfect time for this monochromatic art form -- and a pumpkin's the perfect subject!
What You Need:
- Black paper
- White crayon
What You Do:
- Have your child set the pumpkin in front of her workspace. The pumpkin is her model -- she should be able to have a clear view of it.
- Let her begin by using the white crayon to sketch the outline of the pumpkin on the black paper. Make sure she draws her lines lightly for this step.
- Once the outline is done, it's time for the details. Have your child study the pumpkin carefully. What are the little details and bumps and ridges that she can show in her drawing?
- Don't forget to add in some shading and shadows. Let her darken her earlier lines, adding depth and character to her pumpkin.
- Have her compare her pumpkin drawing to her actual pumpkin. Is there anything she is missing?
- Black and white drawings make beautiful decorations. Encourage her to experiment with the art form by drawing other Halloween staples like ghosts and cats.
- Create a Halloween gallery of your child's best black and white drawings and display them proudly in your house.