Combine nature and art with this creative craft idea. In the process your kid will learn the art of branch weaving. This fun project is easy to do, and it will get your child out of the house, exploring nature. She'll use mostly natural materials to make her new, original piece of artwork. In the process, she'll practice her fine motor skills, and learn a little about weaving while she works.
What You Need:
- Rope, or raffia
- 1 Liter bottle, clean and dry
- Optional - feathers or beads
What You Do:
- Ask your child to hold a twig in one hand and line it up with the mouth of the bottle. Tie the twig to the bottle using the rope.
- Holding the twig and bottle with one hand, ask him to hold another twig up to the bottle, lining the base of the twig to the mouth of the bottle. Help him tie this twig in place, weaving the rope in and out of the previous twig.
- Repeat this process with at least one more twig, or as many twigs that will go around the bottle.
- Encourage him to add in feathers and leaves into the rope weave, adding more rope as needed.
- Tie additional rope at the top of the twigs for hanging his branch weaving from a tree.