Spring is here and your child can learn all about the bugs that will be exploring the garden – and make a fun bug button out of felt! She can cut her way to creating a unique bug she can wear or give as a special spring gift!
What You Need:
- Sketch paper
- Colorful felt
- Hot glue gun
- Black permanent marker
- Pin back
What You Do:
- Start by doing some research on bugs with your child, either at the local library or online. Bugs wear their skeletons on their outside and have segmented bodies. They are also broken down into classifications including insects, arachnids, myriapods, and crustaceans.
- Offer your child a piece of sketch paper and pencil and encourage him to create sketches of his favorite bugs. He can mix and match bug characteristics to create his own super-special bug, encouraging his creativity!
- Now invite him to think of colors that he would like to use for his interesting bug pin. Some exciting colors to use are sets of complimentary colors. Complimentary colors are found opposite each other on the color wheel, such as red and green yellow and purple, and blue and orange.
- Once he’s satisfied with his design, offer your child several sheets of colorful felt to use for creating his bug pin. He can use a scissors to begin cutting out shapes.
- While he’s cutting out his buggy shapes, it’s a time to plug in the hot glue gun so it’s ready when he is.
- Invite your child to assemble his bug pin using the hot glue gun – careful, it’s hot!
- After his bug is finished, he can use the hot glue gun to adhere a pin back. Once all the hot glue has cooled, he can wear his finished bug pin, or give it to a loved one as a gift!