Adding positive and negative numbers can be a difficult concept to understand at first. This game is a great way to help her understand how positive and negative numbers work and have loads of fun at the same time! Work alongside, or compete with your little one as her speed and her understanding of addition increases.
What You Need:
- Deck of cards, face cards/jokers removed
- 2 players
- Scratch paper
What You Do:
- Ask your child to shuffle the deck and deal out four cards face up to each player. Place the remaining deck face down in the center of the table.
- Flip one card face up from the deck and set it on the table.
- Each player takes a turn at trying to create a sum that equals 0. They can use any cards from their hand or the card that’s face up on the table.
- The cards used to make the sum of 0 should be set aside.
- When each player's turn is over, the card on the table and the cards in their hand are replenished.
- When no cards remain, or nobody can make a new move, the scores are added. The player with the most points wins!