This activity is a fun way to use regular household goods to create a miniature bbq that actually cooks for real! Show your child the power of resourcefulness; knowing how to build something yourself is empowering and practical. Plus it can be really fun.
What You Need:
- Tuna can or similar sized can that has the top removed and has been completely cleaned
- Computer cooling fan cover
- Single, self-igniting charcoal brickette
- Needle nose pliers
What You Do:
- Unscrew a cooling fan cover from an old computer or electrical appliance. This will be used as your grill.
- Cut a few small notches in the tuna can to secure the cover on top.
- Have your child place a single charcoal brickette in the tuna can
- Light the self-igniting brickett and place the cover over the can using the pliers. Be careful as the brickett will be very hot.
- Try cutting a hot dog in half and place on the grill for supper!
This activity should only be completed outdoors in a safe location with proper supervision.