Multiplication tables are a vital component of any elementary school curriculum. Unfortunately, sometimes getting kids to memorize their times tables can be worse than pulling teeth. Sweeten the deal with this activity that combines math and sugar.
What You Do:
- Turn over all the candy pieces so that the numbers are not showing.
- Have your child choose two pieces of candy and turn them over to reveal the numbers.
- Instruct him to multiply the numbers together.
- Arrange the 12 pieces of candy on a flat surface.
- Assign each piece of candy a different number and, using the marker, write the numbers on one side of the candy wrapper. When you are done, your pieces of candy should be numbered 1 to 12.
- If he gets it right, tell him to turn the candy pieces back over so that the numbers aren't showing. If he guesses incorrectly, encourage him to try again.
- Mix up the candy pieces and repeat until he's worked on most of his times tables.
After you've practiced, you can satisfy that sweet tooth by enjoying some candy to celebrate all your hard work!