Next time you’re pressed for time and want to find a heartfelt holiday gift for your child’s teacher or friend, make these sweet-smelling sachets that smell like delicious cinnamon candy. With a few kitchen ingredients like rice, cloves, cinnamon sticks or allspice, you can make this holiday craft that helps kids develop motor skills, measuring and mixing. Even teachers who don’t eat candy will be able to enjoy this homemade decoration!
What You Do:
- Have your child measure out ¼ cup of rice, and place it into a bowl.
- Spice up the rice by adding a couple teaspoons of cinnamon, all spice, or both, and then stir the mixture together.
- Help your child cut out four squares of felt, each about 4x4”.
- Cut two 9” pieces of embroidery floss or yarn for each sachet you plan to make.
- Place a scant teaspoon of the rice and spice mixture in the middle of each felt square.
- Fold the side of the square over the rice mixture, and roll it up so the rice is tucked safely inside.
- Help your child tie off each end of the sachet with the floss or yarn.
Try this activity with different kinds of fabric and spices!