This year, ditch the boxed caramel corn and spend some quality time in the kitchen making your own! Our homemade version of caramel corn is fresher and bolder than any you’ve tried, and makes for a great cooking project. Wrapped in some festive cellophane, they make a delicious quick gift for friends and family. The best part is, your child can adjust the flavors to make her caramel corn really unique!
What You Need:
- 6 cups (or 2 full bags) popped popcorn
- 2 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Dash of salt
What You Do:
- Place the popcorn in a large bowl and help your child make the glaze. In a small saucepan, heat up the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup and stir it together, until it comes to a boil.
- Let the sauce simmer on low for tow minutes. Then carefully pour the hot sauce over the popcorn.
- Have your child stir the popcorn and caramel together until all the popcorn is coated. This is a great time to add in tasty mix-ins like nuts, chocolate, peppermint sprinkles or cinnamon.
- To finish the caramel corn, add a sprinkle of salt and let cool for a few minutes before digging in.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.