A perfect way to share Halloween treats – create a simple cone shape that is stapled in place, then create a black cat face to affix to the side of the cone. These make great Halloween gifts or place settings for parties when filled with your favorite candy!
What You Do:
- Trace around a small plate on black construction paper. Cut out the circle from the plate and twirl it into a cone shape. Staple the edges of the cone in place and set aside.
- On the black paper, draw an oval shape with two triangles on it to create a cat head. Cut the shape out.
- On the pink paper, draw two smaller triangles for the inner ears, a small circle for the nose and a half- circle for the mouth. Cut these shapes out and glue them into place on the black cat head.
- Glue the jewel or sequin eyes in place on the cat face.
- Fold a pipe cleaner in half and cut it in the center. Fold half of the pipe cleaner into three equal parts, cut at the folds creating 3 whiskers. Glue these three whiskers onto one side of the cat face using a glue stick. Repeat with the other half of the pipe cleaner for the opposite side of the face.
- Glue the bottom half of the cat face onto the top of the cone. Half of the face should be above the cone without glue.
- Cut the other pipe cleaner in half and curl the top part of it to resemble a cat tail. Glue the straight side of the tail to the back of the cone and then place a small piece of tape over the glued pipe cleaner to reinforce it to the paper.
- Fill your cone with your favorite candies and share it with a friend!
Helpful Hint: Use your cat cone as a place setting by writing a name on the front of the cone using a white paint marker.
Ellen Dean has worked as an art educator in Thailand since 2005, working with both children and adults. She has also been a professional artist working in painting, sculpture and photography since 1996.