If you're looking for a way to recycle your blank, junk CDs, here's an activity for you. Help your child learn more about recycling by having her create a beautiful, summer sun-catcher with your used CDs. All you need is a little paint, some beads and sequins, and fishing line, and you can make this colorful, eye-catching mobile. It's a beautiful decoration for any office or window.
What You Need:
- Junk CD
- Light grit sandpaper
- Decorations like sequins, craft jewels, colorful transparent beads, and buttons
- Fishing line, cut into approximately 2’ lengths
- Paint in any color you like
What You Do:
- Before startng, make sure the paint you use will work with the CD. Experiment with paint on a spare CD to check for adherence. Add a few drops of liquid dish soap to the paint if needed.
- Lightly sand the CD on the side with the label in order to the dull surface.
- Paint the sanded side. Let the paint dry.
- Add decorations to make this sun-catcher your own! Glue sequins, jewels, or beads to either the painted or mirrored side. Let the glue dry.
- After the glue dries, string the CD on fishing line so that it hangs freely. For extra decoration, use spare beads and jewels to string onto the fishing line before tying it off.
Keep your beautiful sun-catcher as a fun decoration for any window or room. Or, for the winter holidays, give it out as a unique, hand-made ornament!