Homemade Breakfast Bars
Cherries and chocolate are synonymous with Valentine's Day, but usually not for breakfast! Here's a not too sweet treat to make for a special breakfast before sending the kids off to school. You can make these breakfast bars in advance and store them in an airtight container for several days.
What You Need:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons of toasted flaxseed
- 1 cup dried cherries
- ½ cup of chocolate chips
What You Do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish and line with parchment paper. Sit this aside.
- Pour the oatmeal and pecans onto a half-sheet pan and bake for about 6 minutes to lightly toast.
- Let the oats and pecans cool until easy to handle and pour them into a large bowl.
- Add flaxseed, honey, vegetable oil, vanilla, cinnamon, cherries and the chocolate chips into the bowl and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mix into the baking dish, place a sheet of wax or parchment paper on top and flatten the mixture by pressing down on the paper to smooth and compress the bars.
- When you're done, discard the paper.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into nine squares.
This tasty and healthy treat is a sweet and tempting way to get your kids' Valentine's Day started. Easy to make days in advance gives you a chance fit sweet thoughts into a busy schedule.