Cook Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
Making cookies during the holidays is a time-honored tradition in many homes. What better way is there to spend time with your kids, warm your home, and end up with a delicious finished product? Your child will want to make several batches of these gingerbread cookies to give to friends, teachers, and even Santa Claus on Christmas Eve along with a cool glass of milk. They are soft, chewy, and sugary, with just enough ginger to give them a little kick! Feel free to alter the amount of ginger in these cookies to suit your child's taste.
Makes about two dozen cookies.
What You Need:
- 2 mixing bowls
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons fresh, grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Have your child mix together the dry ingredients: flour, dried ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in one bowl.
- In another large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Then beat in the egg, and stir in the water, fresh ginger, and molasses
- Help your child gradually stir the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture, until creamy and well mixed.
- In another bowl, pour in the remaining 2 tablespoons of white sugar.
- Here's the fun part! Ask your child to shape the dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the sugar.
- Have your child place the cookies two inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. If you want soft, chewy cookies, take them out earlier. For crispier cookies, let them bake a couple of minutes longer.
- Allow cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheet before removing them.
- Test a few right away, and store the remainder in an airtight container.
This recipe makes about 24 cookies, just enough for the family to enjoy while still having some to give away! Enjoy!