Chi Chi Sticks
In the mood for a little lighthearted magic? Make your own chi chi sticks! Inspired by the divination tools of ancient Chinese fortune tellers, chi chi sticks will give you a "yes" or "no" answer to any question you ask. Will you learn how to fly and find piles of gold in your backyard? Use chi chi sticks to find out! (Results not guaranteed.)
What You Need:
- Recycled paper coffee cup with lid
- Tempera paint
- 10 wooden stir sticks
- Black marker
What You Do:
- Paint the outside of the coffee cup and the lid with tempera paint. You don't have to use the same color for both.
- While you wait for the paint to dry, brainstorm ideas for some fun or mysterious designs to put on your cup. Try using question marks, stars, or a symbol you make up yourself!
- Carefully paint your selected designs onto your cup.
- Paint the wooden stir sticks a solid color on both sides. Allow time for the paint to dry.
- Number the sticks 1–10 with your black marker.
- Turn the sticks over so that none of the numbers are showing. Write "yes" on five of the sticks and "no" on the other five.
- Place the stir sticks in the cup and put the lid in place. Shake the cup to mix up the sticks.
- Ask a question and then shake the cup until one chi chi stick pops out of the lid's opening. One side of the stick has the answer to your question, and the other side has your lucky number for the day.